Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Stereotypes

There are a few stereotypes that can be picked up on throughout the film. One in particular that I would like to expand upon is the way that old members of country clubs are portrayed and viewed. Judge Smails in the movie is a bit crazy in his own way and definitely on the strong side of a spectrum. One of his more well known quotes is when he is speaking to a young man about doing something wrong, "I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them." He says it in a self-reassuring, serious manner.I personally get to play at two different golf courses (one public and one private) and see how the members interact with eachotherand others. In the movie Caddyshack, Bushwood Country Club is a private facility. I can say that while most members at the private country club I go to are polite and courteous, there are certainly a few where I see similar characteristics to those found in Judge Smails. This doesn't seem to be the case at public courses for the most part because members there have no voice to say who can play or become a member and who cannot. So I am wondering, are private clubs havens for snooty, rich people to feel at home? Are all or most private clubs this way? Is this trend getting better or worse with time and do you have examples? Feel free to comment with opinions or just other stereotypes that you see in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment